Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A glass of Water

Let me begin by saying that I am working on two original posts that will be better than all the rest combined...hopefully. I want to let them marinate a little longer so that they will be to their full flavor before I post them. Because of that, it has been a while since I posted. During the down time I thought I would post something that is not original to me. One of my closest friends (and cousin's wife) sent me an e-mail forward today. I typically hate those things and immediately hit DELETE! Being that it came from this particular friend, I knew it had to be good because she dislikes forwards equally. I have added a couple of verses at the end. Enjoy!

Stress
A lecturer, when explaining stress management to an audience, raised a glass of water and asked, "How heavy is this glass of water?" Answers called out ranged from 20g to 500g. The lecturer replied, "The absolute weight doesn't matter. It depends on how long you try to hold it. If I hold it for a minute, it's not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my right arm. If I hold it for a day, you'll have to call an ambulance. In each case, it's the same weight, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes."

He continued, "And that's the way it is with stress management. If we carry our burdens all the time, sooner or later, the burden will become increasingly heavy:and we won't be able to carry on. As with the glass of water, you have to put it down for a while and rest before holding it again. When we're refreshed, we can carry on with the burden. So, before you return home tonight, put the burden of work down: don't carry it home. You can pick it up tomorrow. Whatever burdens you're carrying now, let them down for a moment if you can."

So, my friend, put down anything that may be a burden to you right now. Don't pick it up again until after you've rested a while.


Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall.
Psalm 55:22

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.
Matthew 11:28-30

So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Matthew 6:34

An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up.
Proverbs 12:25

No comments:

Post a Comment