Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Power

My father is a member of a men's chorus called the Sons of Jubal. It is an excellent group comprised of Ministers of Music from across the state. On a regular basis, the group receives an e-mail from the director, Jon Duncan, that contains devotions from members of the choir. Daddy passed the devotion on to me and it was particularly poignant so I thought I would pass it on to you. Enjoy.


Devotional by Jon Duncan

In a seminary missions class, Herbert Jackson told how, as a new missionary, he was assigned a car that would not start without a push. After pondering his problem, he devised a plan. He went to the school near his home, got permission to take some children out of class, and had them push his car off. As he made his rounds, he would either park on a hill or leave the engine running. He used this ingenious procedure for two years. Ill health forced the Jackson family to leave, and a new missionary came to that station. When Jackson proudly began to explain his arrangement for getting the car started, the new man began looking under the hood. Before the explanation was complete, the new missionary interrupted, "Why, Dr. Jackson, I believe the only trouble is this loose cable." He gave the cable a twist, stepped into the car, pushed the switch, and to Jackson 's astonishment, the engine roared to life.

For two years needless trouble had become routine. The power was there all the time. Only a loose connection kept Jackson from putting that power to work. In John 15: 4-5 we discover the need to be grafted into the vine. Dependence in the "True Vine" offers strength, power, and life. I can certainly identify with the story above. It is easy to become self-reliant. Ministry is demanding. The task list continues to grow, and we find that loads are more than we can handle. We often look for the "newest and latest" that can help us push a powerless car down the road. It is true that we need such help from time to time. There are times, however, that we are neglectful of simple maintenance. As one who has experienced pushing cars too often, let me encourage a little maintenance check. We may discover a "loose" wire or two. How's your connection to the Vine? Check out the connection. In these times we really need a source of power beyond our own strength. Such power comes from the Vine.



Comments from Shannon:

As a product of the 90's, my first thought upon reading this devotion was the early 90's dance hit by the German-America Techno group call Snap. The song was called "The Power". (Some of you are laughing, but you know you loved it, too.) After hearing and occasionally dancing to this song for two decades, I was surprised to find that it has actual verses, albeit senseless verses. The whole point of the song though, is that this rapper called Turbo B has The Power. The power to do what, I don't know. When comparing this song and the devotion, I am relieved that we don't have to have all the power. It seems that when we, humans in general, try to have the power, we end up pushing a car for two years or like the song -- not making much sense.



Here are a few verses that correspond nicely with Dr. Duncan's devotion. They follow:

"Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." John 15:4-5

"Wealth and honor come from you; you are the ruler of all things. In your hands are strength and power to exalt and give strength to all." 1 Chronicles 29:12

"Then He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12: 9


Citations:
The devotion is reprinted from Jon Duncan, Sons of Jubal e-mail.

The picture is from "Journey Across Africa" which is a blog written by a Peach Corps Volunteer named Mike. You may find his blog at http://journeyacrossafrica.blogspot.com/2003_12_01_archive.html

No comments:

Post a Comment